Friday 13 July 2007

As we leave behind our time together....

Today I wept to leave these beautiful people behind. They are such kind, caring, happy, smiling children but the pain of leaving their homeland is always there, barely under the surface.

Today, Grade 3 & 4 were telling us about themselves. One boy is always smiling and cheerful and helpful but his eyes clouded over and looked off into the distance as he told us that his mother is in Burma and he is here with his father who has to work very hard all day. His pain was tangible.

And then we had to leave for the last time (this year!). The whole school were singing like crazy. Their favourite song is I'm the only I. I looked at the children and teachers, all from Burma, all refugees, all living in fear because they are not safe in this place and was overwhelmed as they sang 'We're the only we in history'. To share this moment in history, being here amongst them, is a great honour for Geoff and I.

I wasn't going to play the leaving song AS WE GO NOW but our friend said, 'Yes, this will be good'. So we sang, 'as we leave behind our time together, may we walk with one another.... as we go into the future, may we realise how precious we are'. And then I had to speak and say goodbye to all the school. My voice kept breaking up. I told them, 'Remember each one of you is a special and wonderful person. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.' My goodness, it was so hard to leave. These people are treated by Burma and by Thailand like the scum of the earth and they deserve so much more.

No comments: