Thursday 12 July 2007

Good Morning! Photography Assistant still in Bed so Nae Photy!

Went to bed last night at 11pm but decided to draft the partnership agreement we had just discussed so finished that at 1pm, Geoff falling asleep reading at 11.30pm. Then woke at 4am with my head buzzing about how we can fundraise for the school, which is a quite separate activity from the DfID Global Schools Partnership, which is entirely about joint learning.

So to answer Rowena' s question about how the school is funded. Funding is a very complicated issue, here as everywhere but the school has grown from 20 to 220 in 3 years. Last year's funding was got through a grant for 7000 pound (cannae find a pound sign on this thai keyboard!). The grant lasts till May 08 then there is no funding. Separately a benefactor pays this year for providing lunch for the children.

So the future of the school hangs in the balance as there are so many schools for migrant children in this town (45 and probably many more) so the chance of getting funding is limited here. The lady who organised last year's funding knows it won't be repeated next year.

Now 7000 pounds pays for all the school costs including 6 or 7 teachers for one year.

Geoff and I are thinking of ways we can work towards this. So we'd appreciate any of you great Scottish (and other) brains thinking hard about how to do it. Since 4 am, I have come up with a few ideas, which I tried to share with Geoff when he eventually woke at 6.45am but those of you who know him will know his brain doesn't function before much coffee so I was on a hiding to nothing there!

All ideas gratefully recieved. My first one being that when I do have my very big 50th birthday party later this year, nobody gives me any presents but instead gives a donation to a fund we will set up for the school. What do any of us need in Scotland compared to these people?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sheila

£7000 seems such a small sum but for individuals to raise it, still quite hard work. Though with a combination of fundraising events and contributions- it might be possible to get close.I think the 50th birthday bash contribution is a super idea - 50 guests @£20 each is already £1000. Would the school stand more chance of getting money if they could show that they will get half from another source- matched funding? You say there are 45 schools- who are funding all these and I suppose, the question has to be asked, is there a way these schools could work more strategically so that they are not competing for funds? You have packed so much into the week- it is tiring just reading the blogs.

Squatting- ah, it takes me back. That was what our loo was like at home. I swear it was all the squatting I did when I was growing up( and I can still do it easily) that enabled me to have very very quick childbirths- 3hours for the first and 45 minutes for the second!

Maybe that is too much info- but given the variety of this blog- every information is for learning.

love
Rowena

Steph said...

For those of us who have not travelled further north than Orkney and further south than the Isle of Wight, it is nigh on impossible to imagine how people live in so impoverished an area. Things like basic sanitaion and a proper loo are taken for granted!!!

Thinking cap is on!!!!

Penny Sim said...

Hi Sheila

I raised money through my 50th and Silver Wedding bash. I used Just Giving.com so that folk could register their donation on there and it worked very well. I also set up a photo group so that we could gather all the photies together from everyone. Wonderful thing technology. Great blog. I have put its address into every message on the thread to try and drive up the traffic once the heidies are all back. Penny