Wednesday 11 July 2007

Been EVERYWHERE Today!!


Well Sheila has - Geoff had the morning off and tagged along for the afternoon trip. (Sheila says "I'm supposed to be doing the writing - you're doing the picture - so over to the official scribe!!)
So Sheila here and yes, our harmonious relationship might degenerate into 2 blogs as we fight for who writes! I have had the fullest day today, I went with my guardian angel guide who shall remain anonymous for reasons of his safety, henceforth to be known as Guardian Angel.
He took me to a much bigger school in Mae Sot where I was quite overwhelmed to talk to the oldest class of young people aged 16 - 23 who could all speak good english. These young folk are hopefully the future of Burma and will be the ones to take Burma back to freedom but their lives will be full of struggle ...
Then we picked up Geoff and went to Dr Cynthia's clinic (http://www.maetaoclinic.org/), which is a hospital/clinic/outreach medical facility for the refugees and migrant workers. We saw many sick people waiting for treatment, a class of young mothers doing parenting classes and we met Lisa from Edinburgh who has lived in Mae Sot for 11 years. We actually met her and her husband Rocky, who is a Karen Burmese person, briefly last year in Edinburgh at one of Murray's Amnesty Group meetings.
The we went to the home of a famous artist Maung Maung Tinn ( you must check him out on http://www.burmesepaintings.org/ and on www.planetcare.org/stories_ref_medic) . He showed us his very very beautiful, striking paintings of life for the Burmese people in exile and actually autographed and gave us one of his books, which is stunning and we are really looking forward to sharing with you. He is a very humble and generous man who gives most of what he earns to his people. His book sells for 20 pounds. We bought another one for Forthview. The pain of the Burmese story is tangible in his work.
Next onto the border. Not how I imagined it. Mae Sot houses and markets go right up to the riverside. One big bridge goes across a river that is currently quite dry so many people live in this no man's land between Burma and Thailand in shacks. Across the river/bridge the Burmese houses are clearly much poorer than in Mae Sot. You can see them in the picture. For about 10 mins a 2 yr old child walked with us but I did remember what folk said, 'You are not to bring any children home this time!' so I didn't!
Onto the Borderline cafe, a collective for local artists (www.borderlineshop.blogspot.com) where we bought some of Maung Maung Tinn's paintings as cards and also some postcards from local artists, including our Guardian Angel!
Then back home. Today has been hot and sunny but we are in the sun so little we are not burnt and we are drinking lots of water and being careful with our silver soap so we are healthy and well. Today's catastrophe for Sheila was that I went to the toilet, which has to be the worst thing about this place. I am getting better at squatting but you have to take your bag in as you have to take your own toilet paper. I am lucky cos Moyra my neighbour gave me fabby wet wipes for bottoms! As I squatted (Who said, 'too much information?' Ms Vacher is that you?), my lunch flew out the top of my rucksack onto the wet floor! So, no lunch today! Too hot to eat anyway and before the rest of you start - YES I am being a good diabetic and my sugars are fine.
Tonight we are meeting the Headteacher of Hle Bee School to see if we can identify a joint curriculum project for the future. (Sheila signing off at 5.15pm Mae sot time, 11.15am Edinburgh time.)

No comments: