Sunday 13 July 2008

Fiona and Louise arrive at last - hurray!


Today Fiona and Louise finally arrived in Mae Sot at 6.30pm Sunday, having left Edinburgh at 5am on Thursday. It's so wonderful to see them both. Murray came with them from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot so it was quite a reunion as you can see.
The Hle Bee teachers and their children came with us to welcome them. The little girl kept saying to Louise, 'Welcome teacher. You are beautiful teacher.'
Last night Fiona and Louise got to Chiang Mai at midnight and as I spoke to Louise on the phone, I realised I was going to be very sick, threw the phone to Geoff and threw up a lot! Had I caught Geoff's tummy bug? Was it delayed shock? Don't know but I lay very low today, visiting the toilet very often, not eating, slept a lot and by the time they arrived, it had passed (I hope). Geoff and I are both now on the mend, which is a relief.
Mind you, we didn't quite do nothing today. Tha Zin and I have selected about 34 of the children's writings from OUR LIVES exhibition and Geoff and I are formatting a book which we hope to get printed this week in Mae Sot. The book can be used for Critical Thinking in Burmese and Scottish schools. When I come back to Edinburgh, I hope to find a wee fund to enable this book to have a wider circulation in the Mae Sot Learning Centres/Schools because it is a very valuable resource, being Burmese and English and about real children's lives. So on this floor of our hotel, there are now 9 Scots. Quite surreal really but each of us feel really privileged to be here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello folks. Just back from holiday and catching up on all your adventures. Glad Louise and Fiona have finally arrived safely.I can see you are taking full advantage of all the wonderful opportunities coming your way.Keep well. much love.Lorna

Forthview said...

Great to hear from you Lorna. Hope your holiday was good and that you are still moving about well. You're into the last stretch now and then life will get so much more complicated with 4 children!!
Did you read the page (Tuesday I think) where we used your blow up globe from last year? Geoff and I actually played catchie with it in the Chiang Mai hotel's swimming pool!
Make sure Tracey reads my home visit experiences from Saturday. I reckon I can now top her stories! Always good to be ahead of the game as a heidie. Mud, glorious mud! Gladys wrote and reminded me that mud is a beauty treatment so I will be more beautiful when I return. We are going to have such a laugh at the first inservice session at the video footage of this. If you're not in labour, come in for it!! Love to you and the family. Sheila

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are feeling better. There's nothing worse than being ill away from home - except when it's 30° in the shade :-(

I'd be staying off the prawns and out o they ditches from now on ;-)

Loving your blogs. Love to you all.

Ade

Jackie Cameron said...

I just realised which Fiona was joining you! Say hello from me please!!

Forthview said...

Thanks Ade, both well on the mend and avoiding ditches wherever they are to be found. Hope you are still recovering. Email us and let us know. Dad

Forthview said...

Hi Jackie,

Hello to you too! It's really nice to know that there are so many people following the blog at home. Look forward to sharing all the stories that can't be published (!) when we get back. Love Fiona x