Wednesday 9 July 2008

Grade 5 ask questions about Scotland....

Lots happening today. First breakfast at Canadian Dave's needs a mention because we highly recommend it to European visitors to Mae Sot. Banana pancakes (with syrup) make a great start to a diabetic's day, while Geoff gets stuck in to egg, bacon, chips, sausage and toast. We then don't eat lunch as it's too hot to eat. So here is Canadian Dave and his wife Chulee. A famous Mae Sot couple.
Yesterday Geoff's shoulders were aching from carrying the laptop in his backpack all day so we decided to get a bike basket. On the way to school, we passed a bike repair shop and saw these 2 men repairing a barrow. The elder gentleman had the most amazing hat on. So they set to on Geoff's bike and in minutes a new basket was fitted. 'How much do you think this would cost in Edinburgh, Geoff, £10? (600 bhat)?' It only cost 60 bhat (£1). Amazing and such fabulous service.

When we arrived at school, visitors from the Thai Ministry of Education came, including Philip Campbell's replacement, Alicia. We are going to meet her on Tuesday in her office.
We were linking children together today, which is like ever shifting sands but we are getting there. Tha Zin had the idea to link teachers too, which is great, so we have done that as well. Yesterday Sheila gave Grade 5 homework. Think of a question about Scotland or Forthview. We have just had the most brilliant afternoon - the 3 of us, Sheila, Geoff and Guardian Angel! - hearing and answering these questions. Here is a flavour -

1. Why do the Scottish children help Hle Bee School?

2. Why do Scottish children dye their hair?

3. Why is there a partnership between Forthview and Hle Bee?

4. Why do Forthview children wear blue?

5. How many times a year do children go on trips out of school?

6. Do Scottish children all live with their mothers?

7. Why are Forthview children taller and bigger than Hle Bee children?

8. Why do Scottish children go red?

9. Why do people divorce? Burma people don't divorce?

10. Why is Scotland influenced by USA?

11. Why are Forthview jumpers blue?

12. Why do Scottish children not work?

Brilliant discussions followed and part 2 is tomorrow. I see such a difference in how I can engage with Grade 5 children now. I think they trust me more and understand me more this year and so they will engage more and will venture questions. Even though I need my interpreter, they listen to my English responses and I know what words they can understand now and work hard to throw in a few Burmese words. They like to laugh at my pathetic Burmese too. So I really enjoyed this afternoon. It felt like quality dialogue across barriers. Another magic moment and such a privilege to be in class with them.

At 4pm, a wee staff meeting to discuss plans for our next etching project and to tell the teachers who their teacher friend would be. They really wanted to know how old the teachers are! And I had chosen all the elder statesmen/women! They are mostly quite young.
Finally, back to DK Hotel because the Headteacher of Say Ta Nar school had met Mary Gillespie and her family and were bringing them to the hotel in their songthai. We bought them hot dogs, coke, green tea, water and Cadbury's Dairy Milk to welcome them to Thailand! They left Edinburgh Tuesday at 7am and just got to Mae Sot Wednesday at 5pm. They are shattered! But it is lovely to see them.

And we actually ended the day with a meal at Bhai Fern together, as you can see. Couldn't resist the picture of Callum eating a cheeseburger.








Great day!




4 comments:

Jackie Cameron said...

I love those questions. The one about whether the children live with their mothers was very touching - on a number of levels.

I think matching teachers too is such a good idea. If there is scope to match an interested other( former member of staff!) - bear me in mind?

Forthview said...

Hi Jackie, I was amazed by the questions too because learning here seems mostly rote and there's not much discusssion, which is why we like Thein Lwin's critical thinking so much. It challenges the general mode of rote education and teaches children to question and reflect critically on issues. This is needed if Burmese children will one day lead their country. Their questions gave me great scope to extend their thinking. People in Burma don't divorce so I was able to say, 'This is good so don't let Burma follow Scotland in this way.' We also had great discussion about skin colour. They all think white is beautiful and were so surprised that white people sunbathe to get rid of white and to get a tan. Geoff videod the discussion. I couldn't do it without my Guardian Angel interpreter though. I wish I could get a Burmese language chip for my brain! It's really hard. I have about 10 secure words!
I don't know where your toilet comment went. I did publish it. The anwer is 'it was a good job done'!! Enough!

Forthview said...

Oh and I will bear in mind your comment about linking. They clearly don't have business managers but I will find you someone related to schools. You will love that and it will be so good for folk here. It means so much to them to be known in the world. When you have no legal status, it affords you some small sense of place.

Rowena Arshad said...

Like Jackie- I found the question about whether Scottish children lived with their mothers to be a breath stopper and in a different way, I found the question about why Scotland is influenced by the US interesting- that young people from the other side of the world view Britain as being so closely associated with the States. I am also interested in the discusison about skin colour-I remembered as a young child and then a teenager growing up in Malaysia- thinking white people were really pretty, handsome, clever etc... it was not till I was older that I understood the brainwashing that came with watching western movies, commercials etc.. I am assuming this is not the same with these young people? I did wonder about posting this comment but though why not...it is all part of learning.

Have a good time with your girl when she arrives.

Rowena