Wednesday 16 July 2008

Hysteria and Laughter!


Sorry we didn't blog last night. Us 9 Scots went out for a meal and returned in no fit state to blog. As many of you know, I (Sheila today) don't drink alcohol as a rule. Garry Forgie will tell you it tends to make me boring and quiet so better off the stuff. However in Aiya restaurant food and drinks come very slowly and in random order so being very thirsty, I thought I should drink some of Geoff's Singha beer, which had come first. (Geoff's meal actually came after Lewis' dessert! That's just the way it happens - and it always happens to Geoff!) Then my limeade came and I had the bright idea of pouring it into my Singha beer. Very nice drink. I had consumed most of that when the waiter appeared with the limeade. Oops, I had taken Fiona's gin and tonic and put it in the Singha! And thus the evening continued = no blogging!



Tuesday morning, Sheila, Murray and Tha Zin went to the Thai Ministry of Education to meet Alicia, the new VSO volunteer in the office that would have been Philip Campbell's. She explained that the Thai Government are wanting to accredit Burmese Learning Centres (they don't give them the status of schools) and fund them BUT they have to compromise on their Burmese education and the big question is where the compromise can be happily found. This is a very crude summary of a very complex task.

Fiona and Louise meanwhile were back at Hle Bee, working their socks off running the Kindergarten of 150 children from morning till 2pm with the help of some novice teachers and with no interpreter because Guardian Angel was finishing the etching with Grade 4! As Fiona introduced the concept of working in groups round a range of activities, the novice teachers looked horrified at the craft activity she was assigning them. Fiona then clarified that she couldn't manage 150 Kg students for craft! So when we came back, the sweat was lashing off her and she was now onto lunchtime activities for children. That's where the hysteria came in. The reason for the strangeness of the day in Hle Bee was that the whole school including most of the teachers were preparing for Buddha Day and the Full Moon festival on Wednesday. On Wed at 10.30am the monks were coming to Hle Bee and the school would make an offering of robes to the monks so the rooms were cleared ready for this event.

On Tuesday afternoon, Fiona took the youngest kindergarten class and gave out the Forthview teddy bears to the children. These teddy bears will be given to the children when they settle down for their daily afternoon sleep. The children were fascinated by them. Sheila got Murray to hand out 100 hands drawn by Forthview children to the other 100 KG children. (Revenge for all his outlandish requests over the last 2 years!) He did so well that I think he believes he has found his calling and may become a kindergarten teacher! Sheila then relieved Murray of his misery and 100 children were then amused for 20 mins with 4 tubs of bubbles!

Finally,at 2pm, we gathered the whole school in the main building, which is now a real squeeze with 329 children. We sang our Fischy music favourites and handed out the hands Forthview children drew and sent over for their friends. It was a great delight when Mary Gillespie, Pirniehall Headteacher and her lovely family - Alan, Callum and Lewis arrived to see Hle Bee. We treated them to I'm the Only I and As We Go Now, which had many of us greetin! It was a magic moment to be in Hle Bee with 8 other Scottish people singing to the children, 'As we go into the future together, may we realise how precious we are...'


And where was Louise in all this? Where she usually is - adoring the babies. In particular, she adores Tha Zin's brother's baby, as you can see.

8 comments:

Rowena Arshad said...

Any vido clips of Sheila post gin, Singa beer and the rest....?

Love to hear more about the 'compromise' - but I guess that is a conversation for when you get home.

What am I going to do once you are all back and there are no more daily blogs to look forward to?

Met with Susan Maclennan this afternoon to continue our social capital work for a poster exhibition in this year's SETT conference...!!

I suspect Forthview might soon be engaging in total world domination...yippeee or is it oh dear?

Keep up the good work all....

Rowena

Forthview said...

No, Rowena, the video was in the hotel but you can probably hear the 'Hee hee hees' and the 'Agh ha ha has'. They were similar to the ones when I fell in the ditch.

When I get back, we are going to meet for a very long blether and I am really looking forward to that. I've missed you this last few months

SETT? That is great for you both. How are you going to turn that work into posters I wonder?

This is Thursday morning and we will be home this time next week, which is very weird. The Gillespie's bus is pulling out of Mae Sot as I speak and we leave here tomorrow on the night bus so the end is nigh. It's going to be unbearably sad. Fiona has been greetin all week as it is! The hard thing leaving here is that you don't know how safe or well these people will be. They are at the whim of so many governments...
love, Sheila

Anonymous said...

Good to see you guys are keeping up the Scots reputation for being p**sheeds ;-) Gin in beer?? (yuck!) In that heat?? Nae wonder you were steamin!! At least you have the new sinks to wash your face in if you are hungover at school.

Hope you've got a big supply of tissues for saying goodbye tomorrow :-(

Check Louise's bag for stolen babies before you leave!

Tack Care,
Ade

Gladys said...

Hi all
Sounds like you all had a great day, I read with a tear in my eye, so much so that Steph has now put a box of tissues at the computer.
Can sense the joy you are all bringing to so many people on your visit and can immagine how you are all feeling about leaving.

Love to all
Gladys and Family

Jackie Cameron said...

I had tears in my eyes imagining you all singing As we go...it did it for me at Forthview - how would I have been at Hle Bee??

Sheila - I know you will be busy but we need to catch up when you get back.

Rowena..if you read this ...and Sheila if she doesn't - i am fascinated to hear how the research is going!

Forthview said...

Actually Adrian, gin in beer is very good. Maybe I will try it next time we eat at the Sheraton! Tonight we took all the staff out for a meal in the Night Market. 26of us altogether. What a lovely, relaxing evening of seriously weird food and delightful company. We ended by singing Auld Lang Syne with them. Quite a sight! Quite a sound! Tomorrow will be sooooooo hard. And stolen babies are highly likely. Louise loved your comments! Your dad has been a book publisher this fortnight, making 50 books of 44 pages (88 sides of print) to present to Tha Zin. She is so proud of them. We are so proud of him!

Forthview said...

Awww Gladys, you are so emotionally literate! I was training Hle Bee staff in Emotional Literacy today and talking about you. Fiona has been greetin all week. Tonight we went to a Grade 5 girl's home. It's a corrugated iron shack about the size of our greenhouse Louise has just said. 7 people sleep side by side in a row and that fills the house. Fiona was deeply distressed by what she saw. It was really shocking.

Forthview said...

Jackie, there is an interim research report Susan can give you a copy of. Email my home email and I will get her to send you a copy. When I get back I have the 35 hour job of writing my annual Standards & Quality Report and Improvement Plan to do but once that's done, I will be free. I was a bit horrified today to realise that 3 weeks of the summer holidays have gone. I thought I would still have 7 weeks off when I got back!!